Tourism Leisure Corporation Pty Ltd (TLC) is a Queensland company specialising in development and operation of tourism infrastructure, provision of hotel and resort management services and consulting on tourism industry matters.
TLC has developed a solid reputation and track record in advising clients in the hospitality industry, as well as in its own development and management of tourist accommodation, tour operations and associated facilities.
In recent years Tourism Leisure Corporation Pty Ltd ("TLC") has had significant success in advising owners of poorly performing hotel and resort properties by a combination of:
- Reviewing existing management capabilities and making or suggesting changes where required;
- Hands on management style of TLC personnel;
- Strong financial management and regular reporting;
- Rigid adherence to key financial indicators that drive the business - such as cost of sales in food/beverage outlets, payroll percentages across all facets of a hotel operation;
- Preparation of a strategic Sales & Marketing Plan based upon the directors intricate knowledge of the business, the market and extensive industry contact base.
Tourism Leisure Corporation also has significant experience in its own right in developing and operating tourism accommodation and ancillary facilities.
Gary has actively been involved, at director level, in the Kingfisher Bay Resort project since its inception in 1987. This included the full project development phase and he has, since the resort's opening in July 1992, guided the establishment of the resort as a leader in the field of ecotourism.
In 1996, Gary formed Tourism Leisure Corporation with fellow Arthur Andersen alumnus David Goodman. The company operates several businesses within the tourism and leisure industries, including Kingfisher Bay Resort and Eurong Beach Resort on World Heritage-listed Fraser Island; Fraser Explorer Tours; Fraser Island Barges; and Twin Waters Golf Course on Queensland's Sunshine Coast.
From 2003 to 2007, Gary was an independent Director of the then publicly listed Tourism Company S8 Limited (S8), which over time grew to manage more than 20,000 holiday letting apartments in Queensland. S8 acquired a number of Australian and New Zealand icon travel agencies including Harvey World Travel, Travelscene American Express and Gullivers Travel (NZ) before being acquired by MFS Limited in January 2007.
In November 2007, Gary was appointed as a Non-Executive Director to the Board of Flight Centre Travel Group Limited (FCTG) - one of Australia's Top 100 public companies by market capitalisation on the Australian Stock Exchange. FCTG reported an EBITDA of $378 million for the year ended 30 June 2014.
FCTG currently owns Australia's largest wholly owned retail travel agency network and operates in more than 10 countries - with a total annual transaction value of over $16 billion; more than 18,000 staff; and many different brands encompassing Leisure (including Flight Centre, Escape Travel, Student Flights and Liberty Travel); Corporate (FCM Travel Solutions, Corporate Traveller and Ci Events); Online (flightcentrehotels.com and quickbeds.com) and Wholesale (Infinity Holidays and Travel Spirit Group).
Gary was appointed Chairman of Flight Centre Travel Group Limited in September 2014. During his time on the FCTG Board, he has been the Chair the Remuneration Committee and also sat on the Audit Committee.
In November 2012, Gary was appointed as a Non-Executive Director to the Board of Michael Hill International Limited (MHI). MHI owns the brands 'Michael Hill' and 'Emma & Roe' and operates a 300-strong retail jewellery store chain in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States.
MHI, which employs more than 2,500 staff, is publicly listed on the New Zealand Stock Exchange and reported an EBITDA of AUD $42 million for the year ended 30 June 2014. During his time on the MHI Board, Gary has been and remains Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee and also sits on the Remuneration Committee.
Other Business Affiliations include:
- Queensland Tourism Industry Council (QTIC) Life Member. Gary was Chairman from 1996 to 2007 of this Queensland Tourism Industry representative body.
- Gary is a past Deputy Chair and Board Member of Ecotourism Australia – Australia's leading industry group representing the nature-based segment of the tourism industry.
- In August 2012, Gary was appointed to the board of Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ) by the Queensland Government. With an annual budget of approximately $100 million, TEQ is responsible for marketing Queensland to domestic and international tourists as well as attracting and funding events across the state.
David worked for the international accounting firm of KPMG Peat Marwick (1980-1983), and Arthur Andersen from 1983 - 1986, and was manager of their Small Business Consulting Division at the time of resigning from the firm.
David left Arthur Andersen to become a founding director of Queensland Tourism Industries Limited ("QTI"). Through his involvement in QTI he gained considerable experience in many facets of the tourism industry, ranging from backpacker hostels to 4 star resorts. David specialises in financial management and planning, information technology and e-commerce.
David was also Managing Director of Vector Capital Limited (an associated public entity of QTI) where he ran a number of electronics related businesses. David was also involved in arranging the takeover of Vector Capital and another small publicly listed entity.
He was closely involved in the establishment of the Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island, and is presently Finance Director of this business.
David, along with Gary Smith formed TLC in May 1996 to expand their interest in the tourism industry.
Join the Team
- Gary Smith - Director
- Level 4, 410 Queen Street, Brisbane 4000 QLD, Australia
- Email: Gary_Smith@tourismleisure.com.au
- David Goodman - Director
- Level 4, 410 Queen Street, Brisbane 4000 QLD, Australia
- Email: David_Goodman@tourismleisure.com.au